Vanguard’s Gain Is Wall Street’s Pain as Billions Leave the Financial Industry – Bloomberg B usiness

Our academic textbooks preach that index funds outperform actively managed funds 70% of the time. What about the remaining 30% of actively managed funds that outperform index funds? There is no reliable method to know who will be in that 30% ahead of time.

Will market efficiency decline as money moves out of actively managed funds into index funds? I pose this question since actively managed funds are “active” in conducting research on companies, their competitors, their suppliers, and the global economy. Active fund managers subsequently trade on that information and that impacts the market price. So, if all the money goes into passive funds, who is left to do the research?

Just a thought. Enjoy the read…

-Dr. Moore

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-01/vanguard-s-gain-is-wall-street-s-pain-as-billions-leave-the-financial-industry

Advertisements

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s